1) Start a Detox
Detox diets are a great way to reset our sugar and carb cravings, reduce inflammation, cleanse from our personal food allergens and to move toxins (from chemicals, metals, excess hormones, etc) from our bodies. While it is true that a longer detox will provide more benefit, even a 3-day cleanse can start to change your habits, and to implement some new healthy regimens into your life long-term.
Where to begin your detox?
1) Choose Your Timeline and Start Day
- Choose a 3 Day, 5 Day, 14 Day or 30 Day Cleanse and Commit! Block these dates on your calendar, and tell a friend, or better yet, do this with a friend! We are more likely to be accountable when we are sharing our goals with someone.
2) Choose the Style of Detox
- Juice Cleanse
- Food Allergy Elimination
- Intensive Liver Cleanse
- Combo diet and lifestyle shift Detox
We have many resources to guide you in this area, and would love to see you to give you the plan and guide you through! But until then, you can also check out these links where we help walk you through a general detox.
3) General Cleansing and Detox Tips to Begin with any style of Detox
- Add soluble and insoluble Fiber – your goal is to have one or more good bowel movements daily
- Drink lots of water – at least 64 ounces, and more (with electrolytes) will help your kidneys, liver and bowels move out toxins
- Cut out all food allergies. The top food allergies are gluten (big surprise!), corn, dairy, soy, and egg.
- Begin Dry skin brushing. This helps to get the lymph moving, which then moves out toxins.
- Begin Sauna and/or epsom salt baths (Come use our Infrared Sauna at our clinic!)
- Add one of our favorite Detox Herbs – Milk Thistle – 150mg three times daily during your cleanse. This herb is very gentle, and helps the liver repair and regenerate, assisting it with eliminating waste.
Exercise! If you already have an exercise regimen, make sure to add in extra cardio and stretching.
- If weight loss is your goal, adding in Intermittent Fasting can help you shed additional pounds. Want a cheatsheet on how to get started, along with some additional tips on how to optimize it for weight loss!
- Visit https://sagemedclinic.com/ to download your free cheatsheet.
- For additional tips on detoxing, visit our youtube channel, Sage Health Tv:
2) Do a Hormone Reset
Often times when our circadian rhythms get off track so do our hormones. The sun is rejuvenating but a lot of people lose sleep time in the summer due to the late days and early sunrise- it can throw off our cortisol and melatonin levels which like to stick to a natural cycle. In addition, all the summer gatherings that may bring burgers, beers, and ice cream can put an extra load on our liver which in turn can cause our hormone metabolism (especially estrogens) to get sluggish. Hormone overload can lead to breakouts, irregular periods, weight gain and lethargy. Rebooting our hormones starts by getting an optimal sleep schedule plugged back in shooting for 7 to 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep. Lights and technology off at a reasonable time. Supportive herbs like Magnolia officinalia (Relora) will help sleep with a bonus of decreased sugar cravings and nutrients like DIM or Calcium D glucarate help to conjugate the extra estrogen which is then removed through the bowels with lots of healthy fiber. Happy liver and adrenal glands usually lead to happy hormones and great energy.
3) Cut out Carbs and Sugar for 14 Days
While it might seem that gluten is being picked on these days – in fact, I often get the question from patients, “Is gluten allergy really real? Or just hype from the media or a fad?”. I’ve even had one person tell me they thought the whole gluten thing was made up! I’m here to tell you, it’s very, very, very real. Many people have heard of Celiac disease, which is the severe autoimmune form of gluten allergy which can be lab tested for. But gluten allergy is not black and white – it shows up in a range of severity. And you do not have to have gut symptoms to have an immune problem with gluten. Gluten is also inflammatory within your body, even if you do not have an allergy to it. Let me say that again. GLUTEN IS INFLAMMATORY. SO IS SUGAR. (we will get to sugar) Gluten contains proteins called lectins which have been found to drive inflammation in your body, leading to symptoms of arthritis, chronic fatigue, headache, migraines, body aching, and so on.
Other carbohydrates include all grains (including gluten-free grains like corn and rice), breads, pastas, potatoes, nuts and legumes, starchy vegetables, milk and yogurts, and fruits.
You would also include sugar, which includes processed sugars (white, brown, organic, raw), syrup, agave, xylitol, erythritol, mannitol, honey and ALL artificial sweeteners.
People typically feel amazing by the end of this Carb and Sugar reset! It’s intense, but the bodies cravings for sugar reduce significantly. Most people lose at least a little weight, and the feeling of energy tends to increase as well.
You can also include other elements of the detox listed above, to make this a mini-detox as well.
Doing this type of elimination also very closely mimics a keto-style diet. Check out our review on the Keto diet here, which has been receiving rave reviews for all of its health benefits. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oq1_wWl7P2M
Getting back into Fall sometimes means getting back into the stress of work, school, and not enough time in the day to get things done. This can put us into overdrive and when that happens up goes our cortisol and on goes the belly fat, we don’t sleep as well and we are less motivated to get to the gym or eat healthy. Two great ways to destress are simple and free-
- Mindful breathing -Taking the time and setting the habit to consciously breathe (even just a minute or two) several times per day can shift us into that parasympathetic state of “rest and digest” and “attend and befriend”. Engaging our vagus nerve which is a direct path between our gut, heart, and brain helps to calm instantly. As demonstrated in the video below it is a simple and easy technique to remember: Inhale through the nose for 6 counts- fully expanding belly and diaphragm- HOLD for 7 counts- then EXHALE through the mouth slowly and with intention for 8 counts. Repeat for 3 more cycles. When in this calm state we optimize digestion better assimilating our nutrients and lower our cortisol which causes weight gain and bloat.
Need the video link for the vagal nerve reset breathing video here
- Gentle Exercise. Save the more intensive workout regimens which can raise cortisol for the morning or daytime. Studies show that gentle movement such as a mellow walk, stretching or yin yoga can lower stress hormones significantly. Combining one of these with deep breathing will really go far in the relaxation realm which in turn will help you optimize restorative sleep. This will all leave us in a better place to take care of ourselves and our loved ones as we get into our busy fall routines.
5) Do a series of Lipotropic B- vitamin shots
These are energy and brain boosting, and turn up your fat metabolism!
You’ve probably heard of B-vitamin shot that helps to burn fat… it’s not magic, but it will improve your body’s ability to use fat for fuel.
Lipotropic B- shots are unique in that they help to boost fat metabolism, by helping the liver to metabolize fat, and the muscle cells to use fat for energy.
Lipotropic B- shot Benefits:
- Increased fat breakdown via better use of fat to make energy for your muscles and brain
- Improved detoxification process in liver and cells
- Increased cellular energy, increasing your mental and physical energy
- And long-term use has shown an increase in your muscles ability to burn more fat during exercise
- Especially beneficial for people with methylation defects, such as MTHFR or COMT
- Can also support cognitive function, such as improved learning ability and memory
In addition, our shots are special in that we use the best, most absorbable forms of B12 – Methyl B12, and Hydroxy B12 – the powerhouses of B-vitamin energy production.
Our Lipotropic B-shots include:
- Hydroxy B12
- Methyl B12
- Vitamin B6
- Vitamin B3
- Vitamin B2
- Vitamin B1
Most people begin to see a difference in energy by the 3rd or 4th injection. Shots can be done one to three times per week, and typically the closer together the shots are performed, the faster the results.
If your main goal is weight loss – a comprehensive approach is the best approach. We find the Lipotrophic B12 shots to be a great addition to a well-thought out diet and exercise plan, such as Keto diet with Intermittent Fasting, or Paleo diet, or a version of Whole 30. The best diet approach is the one that truly works best for you. We are here to guide you with this process – help you review your options, to optimize your health, weight loss and energy.
Sometimes there are other factors at play here that need to be addressed related to hard-to-lose weight. For instance, maybe your thyroid needs support, or maybe you are moderately gluten intolerant, and this is causing gut inflammation and weight gain. Many of these things can be tested for, and this is what we love to do.
Personalize medicine, tailored to your goals and health needs.
If this sounds interesting, check out our special on Lipotrophic B shots – which includes a complimentary consultation with one of our Sage Med doctors. And check out our overview of Lipotropic B-shots here: